When The Local Church and the Family
Become Partners in Discipleship
Does Your Church Need A Family Ministry?
The raising and training up of the next generation falls upon the parent's shoulders. Though churches have attempted to train and hire professional Children's Pastors and Youth Pastors; It is not the church's responsibility to take the place of the parent and primary spiritual role model. Moms and Dads are not alone, they have resources. The church, the local community of faith is to come alongside and help parents raise their children up in the faith. This is worked out in many ways depending upon your context of ministry and family. To determine what works best for your community of faith start with prayer and open dialogue. In the next few pages you will find models and programs that work for many churches. Look over each model or program and decide what works best in your situation.
Websites for Family Ministry
- Developing A Family Ministry For Your Church - Article by the Enrichment Journal. An Assemblies of God website that brings a spirit-filled approach and outlook on models for family ministry.
- Pentecostal Identification among Protestants - This article gives some statistical data about the global church and those who identify as Pentecostals, including different styles of worship. This is very helpful information for leaders and teachers who want to reach out to people in the local community that may be from various countries around the world. The information will be helpful in reaching families that identify as Pentecostals, but are not members of a local congregation.
- Glossary of Terms - The Pew Report shares a few of the terms listed in the Dictionary of the Pentecostal and Charismatic Movements.
- Top 3 Family Ministry Models - Article by Children's Ministry Magazine that shares some of the pros and cons to each type of Family Ministry
- Family Ministry Models - Article by ChurchLeaders.com that gives a basic description and explanation of each model of Family Ministry
- Passing On the Faith - an online booklet that gives some insight for Christian parents and congregation leaders on why youth ministry has the potential to help children grow into adults who serve Jesus Christ.
- 2017 Family Devotions and Observance of Pentecost - Suggestions for ways a family can observe Pentecost together.