Ministering to Special-Needs Children and Their Families
Click here to view an inspiring and informative video on ministering to special needs children and their families. The video is a recording of a webinar that convened on April 18, 2017.
This online seminar was a joint endeavor between the Pentecostal Theological Seminary, Pathway Press, the Church of God Youth Department, & the Church of God of Prophecy Children's Ministries Department. Speakers Include: The Mitch and Sharon Maloney, Kim Batson, Tony Lane, Kathy Creasy, Marcy Webb and Faye Cooper.
Please note that there is promotional material from the sponsors at the beginning of the recording. The webinar begins at 13:36.
Rau, Steven H. and Stacey Levy, Everyone is Welcome: Creating a Culture of Inclusion in Congregational Schools. Behrman House (March 2, 2015) Springfield, NJ.
Everyone Is Welcome : Creating a Culture of Inclusion in Congregational Schools starts with an overview of special needs education and the history of the inclusion movement, written for experienced educators and engaged volunteers alike. Then Steven and Stacey introduce the practical principles for a strong, inclusive program. These include:
Carter, Erik W. (2007). Including People with Disabilities in Faith Communities: A guide for service providers, families, & congregations. Paul H. Brookes Publishing Co, Baltimore.
Webb-Mitchell, Brett. (1993). God Plays Piano Too: The spiritual lives of disabled children. Crossroad Publishing Co, NY.
Special Needs, Special Ministry by Kim Batson with Kathy Creasy
Create an effective learning/ministry environment for special needs children based on an understanding of their emotional, physical, social, and spiritual characteristic needs. Order the DVD of this course developed and administered by the Children's Ministries Department of the Church of God of Prophecy as one course in a series of online/video classes for children's workers; PO Box 2910, Cleveland, Tennessee USA 37320-2910
More Online Links and Resources:
- Joni and Friends http://www.joniandfriends.org/ A ministry dedicated to extending the love and message of Jesus Christ to people who are affected by disability around the world.
- Grace Chapel Shine Special Needs Ministry http://www.grace.org/specialneeds/ A local church with a ministry to individuals with special needs
- LifeWay Christian Bookstore http://www.lifeway.com/n/Ministries/Special-Needs A Christian bookstore offering resources such as curriculum, ideas, and guidance related to special needs ministry.
- Christianity Today http://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2013/january/special-needs-ministries-and-church-research-ministries.html
Other equally important resources providing valuable information about special needs / disability / conditions (not an exhaustive list):
- National Down Syndrome Congress https://www.ndsccenter.org/ About Down Syndrome
- Americans with Disabilities Act https://www.ada.gov/ Civil rights and laws concerning disability
- Autism Speaks https://www.ada.gov/ About autism
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/index.html About conditions
- National Institute of Mental Health https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-adhd/index.shtml About ADHD
- Shari Dacon often blogs about being the parent of a special needs child.